System Center, Automation, Powershell and other Thoughts

Tag Archives

KMS MP: Idle Minutes Monitor Alert

A customer of mine had several “Idle Minutes Monitor Alert” raised by the Key Management Server MP.

The eventlog for KMS on the KMS Server stated, that there was an KMS request round about every 30 seconds.
So the error was definitiv a false positive.

The treshold for the monitor was default (480 minutes).

I inspected the monitor and saw in the configuration, that the last activity in KMS is stored in the operations manager.
These values are inserted through a scheduled discovery that runs every 15 minutes.

I exported the management pack and had a look on that discovery. There I found an VBS script that does a lot of WMI queries.

As the KMS Server is a Server 2008 R2, and there is a WMI Memory Leak on excessive usage of WMI, I installed the corresponding hotfix and the error was gone.
This hotfix is: KB981314 (

Kind regards,


DfsDnsConfig also under Server 2008 R2

Since DFS Namespaces are available in Windwos 2000, clients get the referrals to the linked shares with the netbios name instead of the FQDN of a fileserver.
In Server 2008 R2 nothing was changed. So clients get the referall with only the netbios-name of the server.

In time where Microsoft wants WINS to die, why don’t they change that?

Getting the netbios instead of the FQDN of a server doesn’t make any problems when all your systems work in just a single active directory domain.
But if you need to gain access from outside the domain where the dfsroot is in, then using only the netbiosname can make a problem.

Two possible solutions are:
1. Add the dns suffix to the suffix search list, so it will try accessing the netbios name with the dns suffix attached if the netbios name isn’t found.
This has to be done on every client. It can be done by GPO or DHCP to not to touch all clients)

2. This is the one I preferr:
At a Registy key to the server that will be the root server for the namespace.
If the server already is a namespace server. you have to remove the root before setting the key.
The value is DfsDnsConfig = 1 (dWord) under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dfs

All DFS-Namespaces have to be build up again. For that you can export the namespace with dfsutli, change all netbios names into FQDN’s and import it back.

Read this KB article also: